Thursday, May 13, 2010

Musings on the Philadephia International Airport

It sucks.

Please, airport, announce the free wifi access for college students over your PA system and then neglect to announce that it's only available in two terminals. Out of six! And certainly not the terminal that I am anywhere near. Oh, and it'd be extra helpful if the password were supplied to me scrawled in pen on a ripped off slip of tablet paper from an employee who barely speaks above a mumble and won't look me in the eye. I'm a college student, not a hobo about to mug you. (Although, honestly, I probably look more like the hobo right now.) To top it off, I think the wall outlets placed conveniently next to the cute, whitewashed rocking chairs in the hallways should be so old and ill-maintained as to not actually hold a plug inside them. Stop taunting me, wall outlets! Not cool.

But, you know, aside from that, the airport's great! More or less. The food is overpriced; the check-in counters are understaffed, if they're staffed at all; and the people at Lufthansa like badmouthing USAir. It's an all-around good time.

So now I find myself lounging in one of the aforementioned cute, whitewashed rocking chairs, in the middle of the hall leading to the main food court, by myself, looking like a hobo, and updating this. I was planning on talking about how psyched I am to actually be going to Egypt, but maybe I'll think about that some more once we hit Germany. I am, of course, ecstatic beyond reason about this trip, but I'm quickly discovery that the airport/layover portion of the trip is not going to be my favorite. Dad, how do you do this so often? I think I'd go crazy if I had to do this for a living.

Also, I'm fairly certain the plane we took from Pittsburgh was just a glorified coach bus. Twelve rows of four and one back row of two. There were only ten people on that flight Not in our group! And I'm fairly certain USAir/Lufthansa knew I used to love me some chorus bus trips, because they definitely stuck me in the very last row back by the 'lavatory'. The flight attendant making her rounds reminded me of the cute choir booster chaperone moms, only instead of telling you to go to sleep, she nagged you to turn off your iPod.

Since the outlets don't seem to work around here, it's time to sign off again. With any luck, I'll get one more post in from Germany. Then we'll be hitting the ground running in Cairo! I love you and miss you all already!

No comments:

Post a Comment